Robert Besser
19 May 2025, 03:59 GMT+10
DOHA, Qatar: President Donald Trump has floated the idea of a new twin-engine warplane, potentially called the F-55, along with a significant upgrade to the F-22 Raptor, dubbed the F-22 Super.
Speaking at a meeting of business leaders in Doha this week, Trump suggested that the U.S. was exploring the development of a "best value" fighter jet as well as enhancements to its existing stealth fighter capabilities.
"We're going to do an F-55 – I think, if we get the right price, we have to get the right price – that'll be two engines and a super upgrade on the F-35," Trump said. "And then we're going to do the F-22. I think the most beautiful fighter jet in the world is the F-22, but we're going to do an F-22 Super, and it'll be a very modern version."
Trump's remarks came a day after he announced a $200 billion deal for 160 Boeing commercial jets during his visit to Qatar. He referred to the F-55 both as a potential evolution of the Lockheed F-35 and as a distinct new aircraft – a comment analysts said could indicate a broader plan to develop a two-engine fighter platform.
Lockheed Martin, which lost out to Boeing in a recent competition for a next-generation fighter, is now considering how to reconfigure its F-35 platform for future contracts. Lockheed CEO James Taiclet said the company is exploring ways to transform the F-35 into a "fifth-generation-plus" fighter, delivering "80% of the capability for half the cost."
Lockheed is also in the middle of a delayed upgrade for the current generation of F-35 strike fighters, aimed at enhancing cockpit displays and processing power.
Meanwhile, the F-22 upgrade would mark a significant reversal for the Air Force, which has been pushing to retire its aging F-22 fleet in favor of the new Boeing F-47, a sixth-generation fighter that will include manned jets accompanied by a squadron of drones.
Trump emphasized the need to "go with it pretty quickly," suggesting that timelines for these projects could be accelerated. However, analysts expressed skepticism about how these proposals fit into existing defense budgets and whether they align with ongoing Navy and Air Force plans for new aircraft development.
Get a daily dose of Belgium Sun news through our daily email, its complimentary and keeps you fully up to date with world and business news as well.
Publish news of your business, community or sports group, personnel appointments, major event and more by submitting a news release to Belgium Sun.
More InformationZURICH, Switzerland: The Swiss National Bank (SNB) lowered its key interest rate to zero percent on June 19 to respond to falling inflation,...
THE HAGUE, Netherlands: The city that prides itself on being a beacon of peace and justice—home to institutions like the International...
DUBLIN, Ireland: Fine Gael Senator Mark Duffy says new laws to regulate vaping products will help make them less attractive to young...
MADRID, Spain: A routine oversight by Spain's power grid operator, REE, has been identified as the trigger behind the large-scale blackout...
DUBLIN, Ireland: Egyptian authorities released Paul Murphy, TD, from the People Before Profit party after his second detention on June...
DUBLIN, Ireland: In a significant demonstration outside Leinster House in Dublin, hundreds of housing protesters voiced their frustration...
WASHINGTON, DC - U.S. President Donald Trump how bowed to pro-Israel elements in his administration and Congress, announcing that the...
ZURICH, Switzerland: The Swiss National Bank (SNB) lowered its key interest rate to zero percent on June 19 to respond to falling inflation,...
WASHINGTON, D.C.: The U.S. government is preparing to revise its influential dietary advice, with a significant shift: dropping the...
ZURICH, Switzerland: The U.S. saw an extraordinary rise in wealth last year, with more than 1,000 people crossing into millionaire...
THE HAGUE, Netherlands: The city that prides itself on being a beacon of peace and justice—home to institutions like the International...
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina: Since taking office in December 2023, Argentine President Javier Milei has implemented sweeping austerity...